The Urgency of Now: Sustaining PDA’s Operations into 2024
Progressive Democrats of America has been active since 2004, holding elected officials accountable, educating lawmakers, and supporting progressive candidates and policies. We rely on volunteers, donors, sustaining donors, and a very small dedicated staff to make progressive waves throughout the country and in the halls of Congress.
So here we are, 19 years later:
- Medicare For All was a fringe idea in 2004. Now the bills introduced into every session of Congress routinely draw over 100 cosponsors in the House and dozens of cosponsors in the Senate. Although the Affordable Care Act is deeply flawed, it is the first major piece of healthcare legislation since the passage of Medicare in 1965;
- The Pentagon budget is still bloated, but the Department of Defense has declared that the climate crisis is a threat to U.S.security;
- With a rogue conservative super-majority on the U.S. Supreme Court, fundamental rights are at risk;
- Workers are organizing and flexing strength in collective bargaining more than in several decades;
- In 2014 we were instrumental in convincing Sen. Bernie Sanders to run for President as a Democrat, moving political discourse toward progressive goals and making progressive policies more mainstream;
- LGBTQ+ rights expanded, including marriage equality, and are now under vicious attack by reactionary Republican elements;
- Systemic racism has been exposed, evidenced by the vituperative reactions of reactionary forces in government and society;
- As the climate crisis exacerbates natural disasters, extreme weather events, and human migration crises, PDA has been at the table, getting key elements included in legislation like the Inflation Reduction Act and supporting the candidacies of a growing progressive faction in both the House and the Senate.
We still have a lot of work to do. For that, we need your help.
Sustainers, those PDA activists who give quarterly or monthly, are the lifeblood of our organization. We truly appreciate every gift, from $1 to $1000+, that we receive, and we endeavor to use every dollar wisely. Sustainers not only provide funds for our ongoing activities, you provide a stable baseline of funding that we can use in long-range financial planning.
Currently, we have monthly donors from 40 states and DC. This past week we added sustainers from Tennessee, Colorado, Connecticut, and Florida. We need to hear from activists in Hawai’i and Delaware, as well as from Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas. I know you’re out there.
By the end of July we aim to have another 100 sustainers hailing from all 50 states. Let us hear from you today.
Can you chip in $2.70/month to sustain PDA? Can you manage $5 or $10 per month? We need to hear from you now.
Debra Schrishuhn for the PDA National Team