Tell Congress: “No Racist Border Wall”
In solidarity, Debra Schrishuhn and Dan O’Neal for Alan, Mike F., Mike H., Janis, Dr. Bill, Kimberly, Bryan, and Shayna—your PDA National Team
Progressive Democrats of America fights for comprehensive immigration reform, including a path to citizenship for undocumented residents in the country. All humans deserve dignity and respect. An immediate concern now is the budget fight over funding for the Trump’s racist border wall.
Our pressure is working! The Washington Post reports:
The Senate intends to pass a short-term spending bill that would keep the government open through Feb. 8 but deny President Trump the money he wants for his border wall, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Wednesday.
The decision would temporarily resolve an impasse over Trump’s demands for wall funding that threatened to provoke a partial government shutdown this weekend, as funding runs out for the Homeland Security Department and a large swath of other federal agencies Friday at midnight.
U.S. obligations under internal law and our treaty agreements are clear. Attacking or impeding asylum seekers is a crime. Seeking asylum is legal. After US policies caused violence and suffering in other nations—Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Columbia, Panama, and others—Trump illegally ordered violent attacks against fleeing asylum seekers. Nothing excuses Trump’s violent crimes against these already suffering people.
Our federal immigration policy is a total mess—the list of atrocities grows daily:
· Over 3.6 million DREAMers remain unsure of their status
· Resident non-citizens—(like journalist Jamal Khashoggi) cannot count on protection from the government or even decent acknowledgment when foul murder befalls them
· Trump’s minions are plotting to deport resident non-citizen 77-year-old Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen to ease Turkish pressure on Saudi Arabia over murder of resident non-citizen Jamal Khashoggi
· Asylum seekers are prevented from seeking asylum and herded into unlivable camps
· Jakelin Caal, 7-year-old Guatemalan migrant girl seeking asylum, dies of exhaustion and dehydration while in U.S. Border Patrol custody, and the government tries to keep it secret
· Resident non-citizen refugees from Vietnam, who have lived in the U.S. for over two decades, are being threatened with mass deportation
· Record numbers (some 15,000) children remain in U.S. custody for months
· The government sprays tear gas over the Mexican border at frustrated immigrants—including women and children
· Over $210 million is spent sending 5,200 troops to the southern border
· Department of Homeland Security considers a rule vastly expanding the definition of “public charge” by which visas and permanent residency may be denied to immigrant applicants
· Executive orders and departmental rules of questionable constitutionality seek to further restrict legal access to citizenship
We condemn and reject all of these aspects of the Trumpian agenda to “Make America White Again.” Of you agree, tell Congress to oppose Trump’s Racist Wall!
Meanwhile, the federal government is about to run out of money because Congress only funded government agencies through a short-term continuing resolution set to expire on December 21st. As that deadline looms, Trump has doubled down, demanding excessive funding for his useless and offensive border wall.
The Senate bill offers $1.6 billion for border security, and the administration is demanding at least $5 billion more for a useless, racist wall. But as the Washington Post reported this morning, Trump’s resolve is crumbling. Use our Action Alert to tell your members of Congress not to cave in to the Trump’s tantrums. Tell them to approve nothing—not one cent—for the ravist border wall.
Trump-McConnell-Ryan corporate tax scam and bloated weapons spending far in excess of what the Pentagon requested. An aging population and repeated Republican attempts to sabotage the ACA is adding billions to the deficit, while reducing positive health outcomes for older and poorer Americans. Of course Medicare For All will help, saving Americans’ health, lives and a projected $5.1 trillion over the next ten years.
Trump’s economy is on track to reach a $1 trillion—Trillion with a T—deficit in 2019. The national debt is projected to top $22.5 trillion in 2019. Yet, Trump wants $25-30 billion more for a racist, pointless border wall that will not achieve security, is offensive to all thinking Americans and insulting to our ally Mexico. Of course it will not be paid for by Mexico, as Candidate Trump promised and insisted, but will come from the millions of working Americans who did not receive big financial benefits in the recent tax scam legislation.
Debra Schrishuhn and Dan O’Neal for Alan, Mike F., Mike H., Janis, Dr. Bill, Kimberly, Bryan, and Shayna—your PDA National Team
P.S. We’re here to help you make progress in your state and locality! If you need help organizing a new PDA chapter or energizing your existing chapter, please contact PDA Field Coordinator Dan O’Neal. Join the PDA Phone Team making easy, effective calls from your own home with Mike “Phone Guy” Fox. Also please pitch in $1000, $100, or whatever you can afford to support our organizing for sane immigration policies and migrants’ rights.