PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 9-30-23. Join us!
Yet another busy week in PDALand. Just like we like it.
With the passing of Senator Diane Feinstein we are reminded of the importance of keeping the majority in the Senate, building upon it, and taking the House out of the hands of Kevin McCarthy and his MAGA clown show.
Although her politics were basically centrist, Sen. Feinstein was a trailblazer for women in government and the longest-serving woman in the U.S. Senate. She authored the 1994 assault weapons ban, and fought for gun safety legislation her entire career. She championed the rights of women and was a career-long ally of the LGBTQ+ community. Now California needs a strong progressive Senator to meet the challenges of 2023 and beyond.
Over the past week we’ve shown solidarity with striking UAW workers and others, continued our campaign to combat the Climate Emergency, held our monthly Disabilities Issue Organizing Team organizing call, worked for global peace and an end to nuclear weapons and power, and campaigned to bring home victories in important elections in Virginia.
We’ll continue all these actions in the upcoming week, along with organizing around the government shutdown should it occur.
We’ll keep up the struggle, 7 days a week, and we hope you’ll join us as well.
Just an hour here or there can make a real difference when it’s focused on a productive project.
Please pick one or more of these actions/projects, and let’s make some noise together!
1) Progressive Virtual Town Hall Sunday: Defeating Trumpists with Progressive Candidates and Policies. Focus: Union Solidarity and Possible Government Shutdown Response
We’ll be joined by Howard Rodman of the Writer’s Guild and Scott Houldieson and Tim Thomas of the UAW as we discuss the WGA win, and what we can all do to make sure of the same for the UAW workers. If there’s a government shutdown we’ll also discuss next steps on that front.You’ll leave energized and organized. RSVP here.
2) Join the National Phone Team. Sign up with this juggernaut and make a real difference an hour here, an hour there, on your schedule. Sign up here, let us know what day you can set an hour aside, and we’ll get you cookin’ calling fellow PDA folks. We’ll make sure you’re doing something easy but productive!
3) Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation. Sign up here and we’ll get you all the training you need to be successful.
4) For “Clicktivists”—Sign/Share:
- Tell Corporate Leaders: Stop Ignoring Climate Change;
- We Must Preserve DACA!
- Call on the U.S. Senate and Department of Justice to Initiate a Formal Investigation of Clarence Thomas Now;
- Tell Democratic candidates: Reject support from AIPAC;
- Sign the petition: Support striking screenwriters and actors—Solidarity!
- Become a Grassroots Co-Sponsor of Bernie’s College for All Act;
- Tell Governors: Lead the Fight to Ban Book Bans Now;
- Tell the Biden Administration: Protect Child Workers from Corporate Exploitation;
- Sign the petition: Protect the separation of church and state;
Thanks so much for anything you can do today for all our tomorrows. Let’s get to work!
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team