PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 9/11/21
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team
Critically Important Work Continues: Here’s How You Can Help this Week
As the nation acknowledges the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, we pause to reflect on the profound changes that fateful day and its aftermath have brought to American society. We remember the nearly 3,000 people and first responders killed in the attacks, even as we recognize that over 1,000 more people have died in the following decades from diseases caused by exposure to toxic fumes and debris from the blasts. And we consider that the global pandemic still ravaging the world has killed over 4.6 million people, and kills enough Americans to surpass the 9/11 death toll every two days.
Nevertheless, we spent the past week fighting for voting rights for all, a reconciliation bill that is maximally robust, prosecution of Jan. 6th insurrectionists, justice for Afghan refugees, and our colleagues in PDA-CA have been pounding the phones to stop the Newsom recall in CA.
This upcoming week we’ll be ramping up efforts as the Senate returns from recess. We continue to fight for women’s reproductive rights, expansion of Medicare, environmentally sound infrastructure jobs, and more.
Join us as we keep putting one foot in front of the other, getting closer to our goal of a more progressive world for all.
- Help make the country healthier.
PDA Healthcare Emergency Town Hall
Sunday, Sept. 12
4pm Eastern; 3pm Central; 2pm Mountain; 1pm Pacific/AZ; 12pm AK; 10am HI.
Agenda: More on defeating COVID-19 and making America a healthier country in general by supporting Expanded and Improved Medicare for All. If you haven’t already done so, RSVP here.
- Join a “Finish the Job” voting rights rally near you. The Senate returns on Sept. 13th, so we’re still pushing in-district while they’re home, and then culminating in a massive nationwide day of action on Constitution Day, Sept. 17.
- Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation and end the filibuster in the Senate. Sign up here.
- Join the National Phone Team. Make easy calls from home to fellow PDA folks to ensure they’re in the know about important actions and candidates. We work 7 days a week, so whenever is good for you is good for us. Click here to join.
- For “Clicktivists”: Sign and share this petition to help Afghan refugees and provide humanitarian aid in-county. Sign to end the filibuster. Contact your Senators and tell them to expand Medicare coverage, invest in clean energy and infrastructure, and follow Bernie’s lead in the upcoming massive reconciliation bill. Also, tell them to pass the For The People Act and the John Lewis Voting Act, and to find a way around the filibuster if need be.
- Can’t volunteer? Please contribute what you are able to afford and make it monthly if you can. There’s much to do, and we need the resources to make it all happen.