PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 8/14/21
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team
Critically Important Work Continues: Here’s How You Can Help
We were proud to stand with the coalition that held street actions for voting rights from St. Petersburg, FL, to Anchorage, AK, this past Tuesday, and will continue to demand that the Senate protect our democracy and end the filibuster, through outreach to local offices while they’re all home during the August recess.
We’re excited to see that while the infrastructure bill and the reconciliation legislation don’t go as far as we have advocated for in some instances, they still represent historic levels of investment into our country and our people on a scale that we haven’t seen since the New Deal. That investment would not have happened without the consistent pressure you, we, and progressives across the country have brought to bear over years of advocacy. We need to recognize our effort, and take pride in it!
Especially rewarding is seeing an issue we’ve been working since PDA’s inception in 2004 gaining traction: Expanded And Improved Medicare For All. Bernie and Rep. Jayapal’s expansion plans will offer substantially more benefits and cost savings to those currently on Medicare, and we’re supporting the push to lower the eligibility age.
Bottom line: we aren’t where we want to be yet, but in many ways we’re moving in the right direction.
Together, we’ll get there, eventually, one step at a time.
Please join us in one or more of the actions below to help us move forward.
- Help make the country healthier.
PDA Healthcare Emergency Town Hall
Sunday, Aug. 15
4pm Eastern; 3pm Central; 2pm Mountain; 1pm Pacific/AZ; 12pm AK; 10am HI.
Special joint meeting including the leadership of the national advocacy group Medicare for All Resolutions and our friends at Public Citizen, and will feature some of their most recent successes in garnering support at the local level, which in turn, very importantly helps to move the issue at the state and national levels. If you haven’t already done so, RSVP here.
- Combat the attack on our right to vote. If you’re willing to join a peaceful street action near you, let us know and we’ll get you connected.
- Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation and end the filibuster in the Senate. Sign up here.
- Join the National Phone Team. Make easy calls from home to fellow PDA folks to make sure they’re in the know about important actions and candidates. We work 7 days a week, so whenever is good for you is good for us. Click here to join.
- For “Clicktivists”: Sign and share this petition to end the filibuster. Contact your Senators and tell them to expand Medicare coverage, invest in clean energy and infrastructure, and follow Bernie’s lead in the upcoming massive reconciliation bill. Also, tell them to pass the For The People Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, and to find a way around the filibuster if need be. “Like” our Facebook page, and/or follow us on Twitter, if you’re a social media maven.
- Can’t volunteer? Please contribute what you are able to afford and make it monthly if you can. There’s much to do, and we need the resources to make it happen.
Thanks so much for anything you can do today, tomorrow, and every day this week.