PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 12/04/2021
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team
Critically Important Work Continues –
Here’s How We Make Change Happen This Week
The past week we held our December Congressional Climate Liaisons meeting, and it was the best-attended yet.
Wednesday, National staffer Danett Abbott-Wicker and SE FL Regional Coordinator Laurie Woodward-Garcia were arrested during a peaceful sit-in for women’s reproductive rights outside of the Supreme Court.
Massachusetts State Coordinator Russell Freedman has been working closely with our allies at Massachusetts Peace Action and others to put together an awesome event today and Sunday focusing on consolidating progressive power.
All week, nationwide, our activists have been supporting the passage of the Build Back Better Act, voting rights, a reduction in the defense budget, and ending the filibuster.
It’s been a busy week, and the one coming will be just as active. Please join us in one or more of the following:
- Progressive Virtual Town Hall Sunday: Healthcare. This week we welcome iconic health insurance whistleblower, author, and advocate, Wendell Potter focusing on the privatization of Medicare and our need for a single-payer system for all. We’ll also provide updates on the Omicron variant and how we can stay healthy during the holidays. If you haven’t already done so, RSVP here.
- Join a local action in solidarity with striking workers. From Kellogg’s to healthcare workers, folks are taking the ultimate risk during the holidays of demanding living wages. If you’re up for walking a picket line, or attending one of the special events in support of the PRO Act, let us know.
- Join the National Phone Team. Make easy calls from home to fellow PDA folks to ensure they’re in the know about important actions and candidates. We work 7 days a week, so whenever is good for you is good for us. Click here to join.
- Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation and end the filibuster in the Senate. Sign up here.
- For “Clicktivists”: Help save the Post Office by supporting postal banking. Help cap insulinprices. Support the expansion of Social Security by becoming a grassroots cosponsor of the Social Security Act of 2021. Then contact your Senators and tell them to follow Bernie’s lead re: the Build Back Better reconciliation bill. Also, tell them to pass the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, and to find a way around the filibuster if need be.
- “Like” our Facebook page and/or follow us on Twitter, if you’re a social media maven.
- Can’t volunteer? Please contribute what you are able to afford and make it monthly if you can. There’s much to do, and we need the resources to make it all happen.
Thanks so much for anything you can do today, tomorrow, and every day this week.