PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 11/27/2021
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team
Critically Important Work Continues:
Here’s How We Make Change Happen This Week
As we’ve been working for racial justice, rule of law, peace, and economic and social justice over the past week, we’ve seen some sunshine break through the clouds.
Those who killed Ahmaud Arbery were found guilty, and the prosecutor who tried to hide the crime is now in custody. A jury found the Charlottesville White Power rally organizers liable for the horrific violence we all saw there.
The list of insurrectionists receiving subpoenas from the January 6th commission is growing, to include high-profile suspects like convicted felon Roger Stone and Alex Jones. “The My Pillow Guy” called for a “big lie” rally outside of Fox News, and less than 20 people showed.
It looks as though U.S. Postmaster Louis DeJoy may lose his stranglehold on the Postal Service, which is only good news for customers and workers.
#Striketober is evolving into #Stikesgiving as more workers nationwide stand up for living wages and benefits, and in the process are winning better contracts. We will continue to stand in solidarity with all.
After dwindling numbers over the past few years, Monarch butterflies are showing up in large numbers in coastal California again.
And even though we’re looking at another strain of COVID-19 coming out of South Africa, the U.S. travel ban from the most affected countries and other global responses suggest we will minimize its effect. We will continue to support and promote global vaccinations, masking, social distancing, and other techniques designed to keep our community safe.
We will continue to build upon victories—one at a time—and we hope you’ll join us via one or more of our actions below:
- GOOD NEWS for Progressives Virtual Town Hall Sunday. This week: We focus on what all progressives can be hopeful and thankful for.
Sunday, Nov. 28
4pm Eastern; 3pm Central; 2pm Mountain; 1pm Pacific; 12pm AK; 11am HI.
Special Guest Speakers: PDA Georgia State Coordinator Terence Dicks; Meleiza Figueroa, National Climate Campaign Coordinator for Progressives for Democracy in America (PDA’s affiliated 501c4); and Mechoopda Tribal Member and traditional basket weaver Ali Meders-Knight. If you haven’t already done so, RSVP here.
- Join the National Phone Team. Make easy calls from home to fellow PDA folks to ensure they’re in the know about important actions and candidates. We work 7 days a week, so whenever is good for you is good for us. Click here to join
- Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation and end the filibuster in the Senate. Sign up here.
- For “Clicktivists”: Help save the Post Office by supporting postal banking. Help cap insulin prices. Support the expansion of Social Security by becoming a grassroots cosponsor of the Social Security Act of 2021. Then contact your Senators and tell them to follow Bernie’s lead re: the Build Back Better reconciliation bill. Also, tell them to pass the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, and to find a way around the filibuster if need be.
- “Like” our Facebook page and/or follow us on Twitter, if you’re a social media maven.
- Then please let us know if you act.
- Can’t volunteer? Please contribute what you are able to afford and make it monthly if you can. There’s much to do, and we need the resources to make it all happen.
Thanks so much for anything you can do today, tomorrow, and every day this week.