PDA Weekly Review and Preview for 11/06/2021
Mike Fox for the PDA National Team
Critically Important Work Continues:
Here’s How We Make Change Happen This Week
While the mainstream media has been devoting a ridiculous amount of bandwidth on gloom and doom scenarios after Tuesday’s elections, the fact remains that not since the Reagan presidency has a first-term president not lost the governor’s race in both Virginia and New Jersey. Yet not only did New Jersey re-elect their Democratic governor, but they also increased the Democratic majority in the state senate. Meanwhile, there were many progressive victories in cities from Boston to Pittsburgh, Cleveland to Cincinnati, all the way to St. Petersburg, Florida.
Progressive messaging and aggressive ground work put in by progressive activists played powerful roles in these victories, and our PDA activists locally and our phone team nationwide were there.
We will keep pushing the outside of the envelope by standing for the people and not moneyed interests. It’s the path to building the progressive majority that we need to bring about the kind of substantial change we at PDA will continue to fight for 24/7.
Please plug into one or more of the actions below:
1) Help save lives and make the country healthier.
PDA Healthcare Emergency Town Hall
Sunday, Nov. 7
4pm Eastern; 3pm Central; 2pm Mountain; 1pm Pacific; 12pm AK; 10am HI.
Special Guest Speaker: one of our favorite political analysts, journalist and author John Nichols ofThe Nation. He’ll be discussing what happened last Tuesday and how that affects our steps forward for healthcare and more. If you haven’t already done so, RSVP here.
2) Host or attend a Freedom to Vote Act rally near you. We won’t stop until until the Trumpist voter suppression bills at the state level are countered by solid federal legislation. If you’re interested in participating in one of these vital events, contact us.
3) Join the National Phone Team. Make easy calls from home to fellow PDA folks to ensure they’re in the know about important actions and candidates. We work 7 days a week, so whenever is good for you is good for us. Click here to join.
4) Become a local Congressional Office Liaison. Work with others in your area to promote progressive legislation and end the filibuster in the Senate. Sign up here.
5) For “Clicktivists”: Support the expansion of Social Security by becoming a grassroots cosponsor of the Social Security Act of 2021. Combat DeJoy’s attacks on the postal service and postal slow-downs by calling for the removal of DeJoy-supporter Ron Bloom from the U.S. Postal Board of Governors. Then contact your Senators and tell them to follow Bernie’s lead re: the Build Back Better reconciliation bill. Also, tell them to pass the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, and to find a way around the filibuster if need be.
6) Can’t volunteer? Then please contribute what you are able to afford and make it monthly if you can. There’s much to do, and we need the resources to make it all happen.
Thanks so much for anything you can do today, tomorrow, and every day this week.