Our Democracy Is Still In Peril
For a strengthened democracy and a more progressive future,
Debra Schrishuhn for the PDA National Team
In November 2020, American voters soundly defeated Donald Trump. He and his adherents proceeded to deny the election results even after 62 failed lawsuits, and on January 6, 2021, two weeks before Joe Biden’s inauguration, Trump incited his supporters to storm the Capitol with violence, mayhem, and malice.
After a pitched hand-to-hand battle, the Capitol Police restored order. Congress certified the election of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, and dissolved the joint session of Congress at 3:44 AM, January 7, 2021.
The forces of Democracy won the day, but did not, and have not, vanquished the authoritarian and anti-democratic forces spread throughout our political system:
- Essential voting rights continue to be challenged;
- Working behind the scenes, anti-democratic state legislatures restrict educational opportunities and seek to circumvent Constitutional guarantees of free people;
- The conservative U.S. Supreme Court erodes human rights with its manufactured adherence to so-called originalism;
- Militaristic culture in law enforcement encourages violence and excessive force leveled against unarmed citizens (primarily those of color);
- Despite the first tentative steps toward federal gun safety legislation taken in Congress last session, gun violence continues to rise;
- Short-sighted policies and the corporate lust for profit threaten the very habitability of our planet.
We don’t have time to fight one battle at a time. PDA is active on all these issues and more, every hour of every day of every year. We never stop, we never slow down, we never give up.
But we can’t continue without your steady support. The oligarchs and the corporatists don’t want us to succeed—we get no funding from them. You are our base, the steady rock of our foundation, and we need you to support our efforts to preserve democracy, promote human rights, and restore our planet’s viability.
Give a monthly donation of $27, $12, $10, $5, or $2.70, and know we appreciate your support and will use every dollar wisely.