Join Today’s Twitter Storm #RacismExists
Debra Schrishuhn for the PDA National Team
Take a Stand Against Racism:
Join Today’s Twitter Storm
Denying that systemic racism exists is like denying that cancer exists. Too many lives have been lost to cancer; cancer causes excruciating pain and suffering; cancer impacts lives regardless of class or status both directly and indirectly, as does systemic racism. There is no magic cure, but society faces the challenge directly, making a conscious effort to find solutions to cancer. Likewise, we must admit the existence and prevalence of racism in American culture in order to seek solutions and move toward a more equitable society.
Racism has cost countless lives, caused excruciating pain and suffering, and it impacts lives regardless of class or status both directly and indirectly. Yet public discourse is stuck in the rut of whether or not systemic racism even exists at all.
Take action today. Join Progressive Democrats of America in supporting the Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation coalition’s Twitter Storm Thursday, February 24th, 11 am-1 pm Pacific/2 pm-4 pm Eastern. Use the hashtag #RacismExists.
- The goal is to post at least six times in this two-hour time frame to make it a true “storm.”
- Twitter allows you to schedule your posts in advance so please take advantage of this feature.
- Feel free to use text and graphics for other social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Double up and call your Representatives to encourage them to co-sponsor H.Con.Res. 19 (to establish a national commission on Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation) and H.R. 40 (Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act)
- As always, do not forget to retweet, tag, and forward messages as well.
Let us know if you act today and are willing to help end systemic racism in the future.We are strongest when we act together. #RacismExists.