How the Democrats Can Win the Midterms – Bullet Points:
The Democrats can motivate their base in an unprecedented manner in the 2022 Midterms and pull off a historic upset victory – holding onto a majority in the House of Representatives and adding at least two seats to achieve a majority in the U.S. Senate – by campaigning with this message:
- If we maintain a majority in the House and add two Democrats in the Senate to achieve a 52-48 majority, we promise that we will pass
- Voting Rights legislation such as the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, plus the electoral components of the For the People Act.
- Legislation that codifies Roe v. Wade – giving women control over their own bodies by making access to abortion a national law (thus removing the power of the Supreme Court to remove this right).
- This will be done by creating “filibuster carve outs” for these two pieces of legislation in the Senate, as we will have the necessary votes in the Senate to approve these carve outs
- Thus, vote for Democrats in the midterms and we will secure our democracy and establish, once and for all, a woman’s right to control her body
This message must be stated in a crystal clear manner – by a unified Democratic leadership team (i.e., President Biden, Speaker Pelosi, and Majority Leader Schumer).
On top of that, Schumer must announce unequivocally that he has 48 US Senators committed to these filibuster carve outs – and that the candidates most likely to pick up seats in the Senate (WI, PA, OH, and NC) are all committed to this as well. Furthermore, he must state along with Pelosi and Biden that this course of action will be pursued immediately upon the seating of the new Congress. It is essential that all Democrats amplify this certainty, as the Party has a less-than-stellar record of following through on its campaign promises.
This strategy will motivate Democratic and Independent voters in an unprecedented manner, as it sends a message of an iron-clad defense of American democracy and the rights of women, both of which are overwhelmingly popular with the American people and under mortal threat from Republican orthodoxy.
Leading with this message, as well as a clear statement of how the party will address inflation, will produce excellent results in the swing Senate and House races across the country.