A Valentine for Democracy
Our Valentine’s Day Promise: We All Have A Stake In Preserving Our Democracy!
The forces of Democracy won the day on January 6, 2021, but did not, and have not, vanquished the authoritarian and anti-democratic forces spread throughout our political system:
- Essential voting rights continue to be challenged;
- Working behind the scenes, anti-democratic state legislatures restrict educational opportunities and seek to circumvent Constitutional guarantees of free people;
- The conservative U.S. Supreme Court erodes human rights with its manufactured adherence to so-called originalism;
- Militaristic culture in law enforcement encourages violence and excessive force leveled against unarmed citizens (primarily those of color);
- Despite the first tentative steps toward federal gun safety legislation taken in Congress last session, gun violence continues to rise;
- Short-sighted policies and the corporate lust for profit threaten the very habitability of our planet.
We don’t have time to fight one battle at a time. PDA is active on all these issues and more, every hour of every day of every year. We never stop, we never slow down, we never give up.
That’s our Valentine’s Day promise to you. Will you help support our daily struggle with a monthly donation of $27, $12, $10, $5, or $2.70? Know that we appreciate your support and will use every dollar wisely.
For a strengthened democracy and a more progressive future,
Debra Schrishuhn for the PDA National Team